Friday, January 30, 2009
This was our last night's dinner. Since it is deep-fried, I would not call it healthy, but it is only about 534 kcal and it is relatively cheap to make.
Serves 3-4 people
Prep Time: 30 mins
Total Time: 30 mins
1 Regular Onions OR 1 Bundle Scallions
6 oz. Medium Shrimp, peeled, de-veined, tails removed & chopped
1 Carrot, cut crosswise into fourth & thinly sliced
1 cup Flour
1 tbs. Flour
1 3/4 cup Chilled Water
2 cups Rice (White or Brown)
1. Heat deep frying oil in a small to medium saucepan (or whatever you use for deep-frying), until the oil is about 345 to 375 F.
2. In a medium bowl, mix the onions, shrimps and 1 tbs. of flour. (Bowl 2)
5. Scoop 1/8 of the mixture w/ a big spoon & gently slide it into the pan. Flip it over when it looks crisp (about 1 to 2 mins.). Take it out after about 1 to 2 mins.
~ Sauce ~
* If it is too much of trouble to make sauce, you can just eat it w/ soy sauce.
1 1/2 tbs. Sweet Sake (Mirin)
* You can get Kikkoman - Aji-Mirin (Sweet Cooking Rice Wine) 10 Oz.at Amazon or at your local Asian or health store.
2 tbs. Soy Sauce
1 tbs. Sugar
1/2 cup Sugar
1 ts. Japanese Soup Stock Powder (Hon Dashi) or Dried Bonito (Katsuobushi) 1 oz.
* You can get Ajinomoto - Hon Dashi (Soup Stock) 5.28 Oz.at Amazon or at your local Asian or health store
* You can get Nishimoto - Dried Shaved Bonito Flakes (5 pack) 0.52 Oz.at Amazon or at your local Asian or health store.
1. Mix everything together in a small saucepan. Bring it to boil and simmer it down for about 5 mins. If using Dried Bonito, strain w/ paper towel.